Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Got a Maker's Eye?

The essay, “The Maker’s Eye: Revising Your Own Manuscripts”, is written by Donald Murray, who is an accredited author. In his essay, Murray strongly asserts how necessary and essential it is to rewrite and revise one’s writing and that one should be his own editor and critic.
Probably, all of the students would agree that when they finish writing the rough drafts, the act of writing is done. Then, we just read few more times to correct some spelling and grammatical errors, and that is the complete revising process we go through after the writing rough drafts. However, according to Murray, the completion of the writing rough drafts is not the completion of the writing process, but rather it is the start or the beginning of the writing process. This writing process is not just re-reading of the rough draft, but it is process of producing and yielding the most refined and polished work. Murray strongly emphasizes that when writers go through the process of revision, “[they] must learn to be their own enemy” and detach themselves from their works, so that they could be objective and critical to their works. Later on in his essay, Murray introduces the eight categories or parts where the maker’s eye should carefully look at. These eight categories include information, meaning in the information, awareness of the audience, form or genre, structure, development, dimension, and the voice of the writer.
After reading Donald Murray’s “The Maker’s Eye: Revising Your Own Manuscripts”, I have re-read my 2-page brainstorm advertisement analysis and looked for the eight categories that Murray emphasized. Of course, I found information in my paper, since about 55% of the paper is about the advertisement information. I also found meanings in the information, which is the analysis of the advertisement. Then I questioned myself if I was aware of the audience by putting myself in reader’s shoes, whether this information and analysis is clear to understand or not. Next thing, I checked was the form and structure of my paper in general which I thought the overall structure and form was not bad; however I felt that it would be better if I had used smoother transition word to make the structure flow better. For developing and considering dimension in the paper, I thought that I was developing my idea and theme well enough for the readers to understand, but I still need to add and subtract some parts that need to be further explained. Finally, when I looked for my overall voice throughout the paper, it was hard to find my voice, so I thought that maybe my voice in this paper is too weak to find, and I felt the need to strengthen my voice when expressing my theme and my thoughts to the audience.

Overall I had applied Murray’s eight considerable categories, and I realized how important it is to re-read and revise the writing with the maker’s eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment